Accepted/Completed am_backrooms

mobs2r

Server Moderator
Server Moderator
Events Team
Reaction score
A very simple 1v1 map for CSGO based on level one of the backrooms.

From a mapping perspective, the map is bland and features very little detail, but the whole premise of the backrooms is emptiness and loneliness and I feel that a 1v1 map encapsulates this well because: if there is no food or no water in this place, you've been aimlessly wandering for days, and you're starving to death, if you did happen to encounter another person there is a good chance you'd want to 1v1 them and eat them. ?

If you're not careful and you noclip out of an active duty map in the wrong areas, you'll end up in am_backrooms, where it's nothing but the stink of old moist carpet, the madness of mono-yellow, the endless background noise of fluorescent lights at a maximum hum-buzz, and approximately 16 arenas compatible with splewis' 1v1 plugin to be trapped in.

This arena (in pictures) is based on the infamous level one picture that arguably sparked the backrooms massive popularity. Currently, the map only has one unique arena. Eventually if I can find the time, I'd like there to be more than one unique arena, based on different pictures of level one of the backrooms. This means if you're playing on a 1v1 server, there is a chance you won't play on the same arena every round. Obviously this is an experimental idea that (as far as I'm aware) hasn't been done before, so I've only released the base arena in this state, knowing it would work as is. As the description mentions, the map has 16 arenas and is compatible with splewis' 1v1 plugin, so it will work on any sever running the plugin. I have also toyed at the idea of breakable lights in a map like this, which would make the map a little more spooky in actual practice.

622.jpg

20200724162330_1.jpg

20200724162404_1.jpg

I do intend to update the map over time, just like Lockers, but far likely far less frequently. I have a massive list of projects and stuff I'm working on that I'd love to share with everybody and tell everybody the ambitions I have, but ultimately I'm just one guy and everything I'm working on is for fun, so rather than building everybody up and letting them down. I've also decided that instead of mass posting on an "active development" thread with screenshots and stuff, I'll likely be streaming work I do on by Twitch channel in the Creative category. That way, if I fuck something up or I'm falling behind on deadlines or something, anything, you don't have to read a paragraph about me explaining myself, you can just laugh at me having an aneurysm as I go over my entity count or something stupid like that. ?

mobs2r

Server Moderator
Server Moderator
Events Team
Reaction score
  • Staff
I know I said I would be updating this infrequently and that is the absolute truth, but I have pushed an update that adds two new layouts to the map; renditions of am_basement by Hate and aim_pillars by aosas from the Steam Workshop. I'm sure you're all familiar with these two maps layouts as they're both pretty popular, plus you'll get to enjoy a new layout too.

20200725163548_1.jpg

20200725163612_1.jpg

20200725163455_1.jpg

20200725163506_1.jpg

16 arenas, 3 unique layouts, all in 1 map. I hope you enjoy!

Frumpy

Admin
Administrator
Operations Team
Server Moderator
Events Team
Reaction score
the office vibe reminds me a lot of The Stanley Parable. Looks good ?

mobs2r

Server Moderator
Server Moderator
Events Team
Reaction score
  • Staff
the office vibe reminds me a lot of The Stanley Parable. Looks good ?

If you liked The Stanley Parable and you're a fan of horror games, you should check out The Backrooms Game on Steam. It's free (although there is also a paid version) and I think it does a really good job of capturing the atmosphere.

mobs2r

Server Moderator
Server Moderator
Events Team
Reaction score
  • Staff
Tiny update 0.2.3/0.2.4:

• Added spawn priority for offline play. [Thanks mbhound!]
  • Adjusted lighting. [Thanks /u/lukkasz323!]

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using