No Change/Rejected Inactive Player Time Wipes

♪ ryN

Reaction score
I've already spoken of this vaguely in Discord, however since I know the Top 50 server is in the works, it would make it a little easier to achieve top 50 rankings. Players such as shexy who iirc is rank 5 on the server, however permanently banned, really have no place in rankings as they have been permanently banned. People who haven't logged on for 6+ months have a high probability of never reconnecting, so their times are really just wasted space.

Also is there any way to automate something like this? Where if somebody doesn't log on for an allocated amount of time, say 4 months, their times get auto wiped? If so, I feel this would be a good addition to the server as wiping times manually is a pain. If there's reasoning against this, please feel free to let me know.

Thanks!
-ryN

sneaK

Owner
Owner
Administrator
Operations Team
Server Moderator
Reaction score
I've actually already put a decent amount of thought into this and disagree with inactive wipes, however share a similar (but slightly changed) sentiment about perma banned wipes, and here's why.

Inactivity - I don't think anyone should be penalized for taking time off. Every summer I see a resurgence of players whom I haven't personally seen in ~1 year - people commonly take time off for school, spend time away, break their computers, etc etc. For whatever reason if someone wants to come back after a long time away (regardless of whether it's 6 months or 6 years), I have no issue with them picking back up right where they left off.

That being said, permanently banned players are a bit of a different story. While I strongly believe that any time that is legitimate and not cheated (possible reason for permanent ban), there is no reason for it to get removed. However, a thought I have been toying with is removing permanently banned players off of the ranking list. That way, their times still remain, however they will not obstruct the progress of others up the ranks. I'd actually like to hear other opinions on this, if anyone wants to pitch in!

Josh

Reaction score
agree with perm banned players being taken off leaderboard, waste of a spot

snc

Lifetime VIP
Reaction score
i surfed on a server that implemented the inactive time wipes and it seemed to apply for pbs that you acquired the longest time ago not just overall inactivity.

say i got a time on surf_ace and didnt play for 3 months but the amount of time it takes to count as inactivity is 4 months; if i played on the server after the 3 months but i didnt play on surf_ace for another month my time on that map would be wiped.

-just another reason i would agree that inactivity wipes are bad, and i dont really care about perma banned players as long as they didnt cheat their time, its almost always beatable and thus meaning they just go down in the ranks over time.

Kaysher

Reaction score
agree, get these permas outta here

♪ ryN

Reaction score
i surfed on a server that implemented the inactive time wipes and it seemed to apply for pbs that you acquired the longest time ago not just overall inactivity.

say i got a time on surf_ace and didnt play for 3 months but the amount of time it takes to count as inactivity is 4 months; if i played on the server after the 3 months but i didnt play on surf_ace for another month my time on that map would be wiped.

-just another reason i would agree that inactivity wipes are bad, and i dont really care about perma banned players as long as they didnt cheat their time, its almost always beatable and thus meaning they just go down in the ranks over time.

i absolutely despise this way of clearing times for inactivity because people who surf on the advanced server rarenly ever go on the easy server where i'm sure they achieve the majority of their points from.

however i sure as hell agree with getting permas outta there. If i'm interpreting correctly, you think that all of their times will remain, however the aforementioned banned players will not collect points from these times.
Is that correct? If it is, that would definitely suffice.

sneaK

Owner
Owner
Administrator
Operations Team
Server Moderator
Reaction score

Yeah that's pretty shit, you're forced to play almost all the time and keep hitting the maps that you haven't played recently. I'm pretty against inactivity wipes.

i absolutely despise this way of clearing times for inactivity because people who surf on the advanced server rarenly ever go on the easy server where i'm sure they achieve the majority of their points from.

I'm not here to force anyone to play on easy surf or advanced surf, or play at all for that matter. If you earned your time, you deserve to keep it.

Not to mention, activity on surf servers is monitored across all servers, not just one.

Is that correct?
Bingo, times would remain, points would get nulled (aka lose rank).

Noldyy

Former Staff
Former Staff
Reaction score
If people are too lazy or shit to pass someone in ranks who cant even play on the server anymore its on them. I say keep them so I can pass them and actually earn the rank by getting the points to pass the person otherwise I might as well stick a finger up my ass while going for a top 5 rank on here.

s p o o k y

Admin
Administrator
Server Moderator
Lifetime VIP
Head Admin
Reaction score
If people are too lazy or shit to pass someone in ranks who cant even play on the server anymore its on them. I say keep them so I can pass them and actually earn the rank by getting the points to pass the person otherwise I might as well stick a finger up my ass while going for a top 5 rank on here.

On the other hand, why would you defend keeping them on the leaderboards if they are unable to play on the server? I have seen the good reasons for removing the times, i.e. freeing more slots on a potential top 50 server, but what are the good reasons for leaving the banned players' ranks in place?

Robo

Reaction score
On the other hand, why would you defend keeping them on the leaderboards if they are unable to play on the server? I have seen the good reasons for removing the times, i.e. freeing more slots on a potential top 50 server, but what are the good reasons for leaving the banned players' ranks in place?

I'm assuming his logic is.. If said player got all of it legit, why remove it?

I agree with removing from leaderboards.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Upcoming Events

Today's birthdays

Discord

Login or Register

Forgot your password?