Lets have a discussion.

Is it reasonable to have this discussion?

• Yes

Votes: 19 90.5%
  • No

Votes: 2 9.5%

• Total voters

Semper

Reaction score
While I think everyone in here agrees that the hard R and racial attacks are not ok, I still really just don't like this scenario. I think we all know that if this rule gets changed, it's going to be a shit storm for quite some time to come, and we're going to be having a whole load of kiddies dropping n bombs all the time 'just because they can'. If I had the agreement of many in the community to try and make this transition a little bit smoother for everyone by perhaps 'easing in' a potential rule change instead of dropping it like a bomb, that would be a massive help. I definitely want to have a little bit more of a conversation on the topic and some discussion with the admins to see how we can accommodate a change until anything goes into effect.
I agree that if there's an automatic, significant change to the rule that havoc is going to arise. It seems evident with, as of late, that quite a few newer players try to pester people by exploiting shortcomings of rules which further leads to toxicity. That being said, I think if we can ease into something more balanced and reasonable instead of a drastic, obvious rule change, I don't think this will have a drastic effect in return. I think the process of easing into a potential rule change could be like this:
1. Deal with language that interferes with other players' experiences when it's obvious. I think that the phrase "baiting racism" and the like should be done away with. By all means, the admins have the right to tell someone to calm down when someone's escalating a situation when the subject matter is outright racist, but when someone (purposely or accidentally) hints at racial subject matter, that should be ignored if people obviously aren't stirred up by it. This step could help the community ease into a transition because, while it's still keeping the use of racial slurs and harmful language which interferes with other players' experiences in check, it does away with micromanaging what people say. I don't notice micromanaging done by the admins as much as I used to, but again, I think that this step is vital to begin a transition into something more reasonable. Hell, even this step could be done in a trial manner so we can see how people react to it.
2. Once the above step has been attempted, I think it would be fair to start allowing things like "nigga" and "nibba" temporarily, not by saying it's okay in a public manner, but in a way that, when admins are on the server, they simply wouldn't react to the usage of those words, but instead they would pay attention to the dynamic of the conversation when these words with the soft a are used. If the usage of those words upsurges toxicity more often than if it didn't have any effect on the conversation whatsoever, then we could confirm that it would be best to leave things the way they were. However, if implicitly allowing these words didn't show to have any drastic consequences, then we could move on from here and continue discussing based on the actual consequences.

While this process is based on speculative judgment and personal bias shaped by the behavior that I've noticed on the servers, I still believe that the process that I mentioned should be given a chance or at least be subject to discussion. I'm not calling for an outright rule change, again, this is just so that we can ease into something better informed and better supported.

Parrino

Lifetime VIP
Reaction score
Fragments of the community are hanging out/playing elsewhere, and we're missing out on potentially good players
At least in my opinion, this rule is too little too late to have any lasting impact on any persons decision to come back to the community. People who already have private discords or surf on other servers aren't going to abandon them just because of a rule change

sneaK

Owner
Owner
Administrator
Operations Team
Server Moderator
Reaction score
At least in my opinion, this rule is too little too late to have any lasting impact on any persons decision to come back to the community. People who already have private discords or surf on other servers aren't going to abandon them just because of a rule change

There's no such thing as 'too late' with a rule change like this. There are new people joining daily.

I meant that people who still actively play every day and participate don't hang out in our spaces because of this rule, which slows community growth and interaction. If people have legitimately left because they're so upset about this rule then I have no problem with that.

To be clear: I have no problem with the way the rule stands as is. If someone can't handle not spewing racist garbage every time they open their mouth, then they can gladly go somewhere else. This potential rule change isn't meant to make this place become a safe haven for closet racists.

Last edited:

Parrino

Lifetime VIP
Reaction score
bump
even thought its been about a month I still think its reasonable to discuss change about this

Semper

Reaction score
Bumping as well, I don't think discussion about this should end. I get that this is a lengthy process, but I think we should start regularly putting our thoughts out again.

pbjpie

Admin
Administrator
Server Moderator
Events Team
Reaction score
idk why this is so groundbreaking for everyone its one word lmao find another insult to use

but yea to reiterate what I said earlier I don't really care unless you make a habit of it or just use racism to be an edgy memer. at that point it just becomes hateful and immature, hurting the reputation of the server

also let's be honest if we flipped the rule I can name about 5 people that would spew shit regularly just because they can :/. maybe some sort of "you can use racial slurs in moderation" would be a good testing ground for the future

Frumpy

Admin
Administrator
Operations Team
Server Moderator
Events Team
Reaction score
Bump, please make it offical

Noldyy

Former Staff
Former Staff
Reaction score
if anyone wants my opinion on this as someone whos been here since the very start of sneaks and as a prior admin who is also appart of pretty much every surf community be it na or eu be it racist or not racist hmu on discord cause im too lazy to type out another long ass thing.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Upcoming Events

Today's birthdays

Discord

Login or Register

Forgot your password?