No Change/Rejected New rule sugestion

orrie11

Reaction score
Tonight there was discretion on whether or not you can say the word "faggot" or not and be muted. On one of the other servers I played on they had two rules one was no enticing aka no saying "Alex is a stupid...) making me think of the word or making me want to finish the statement. The second rule which there where a few people who agreed with me is no seeing bigoted slurs ( Jew, nigger spic, faggot). I personally think those 2 rules should be implemented on the surf server because the people who are going to be saying that are just trolling any way, atleast most of the time, but in general I think those 2 rules should be added.

Noldyy

Former Staff
Former Staff
Reaction score
The first rule of enticing is in effect as far as I know, because I will mute both parties if both are involved.

The second gets more complicated, I agree that being a bigot is wrong. For instance, if I saw someone blatantly calling someone a faggot with intent to be hurtful they will be muted/gaged/silenced and can lead to a ban.

You have to realize that this is the internet and if you get offended by everything you will not have a good time. Also, there is a clear difference between the n-word and saying fag. If someone is in the server saying, "oh what a fag", or "ohya Justin Bieber that guys a fag", muting them is just petty.

Everyone would get muted if we muted every time someone said something someone else didn't like, we have to draw the line somewhere and I feel like we have done a good job as in too keep the server from being complete cancer or to keep the server from being a dictatorship where no one can joke around and have fun.

I will keep a listen and look out better for people saying things to clearly start shit and ruin the experience of the others on the server and will take the appropriate action.

Thanks for posting this after I asked Orrie, I want to see what everyone else thinks of this.

reyK

Former Staff
Former Staff
Reaction score
MY MAN NOLDY SAID IT PERFECTLYYYY

sneaK

Owner
Owner
Administrator
Operations Team
Server Moderator
Reaction score
This is something I've put some thought into before creating our Community Rules, and now that the question has come up I might as well put my thoughts into words.

Prior to taking complete ownership of the servers (I used to run and operate a couple servers for another gaming community before they dropped the game entirely), there was a rule about "bigoted language", and to be honest it was the most hectic, annoying, and childish rule to enforce. Noldy pretty much hit the nail on the head in his response. Simple, straight forward rules are much easier to understand and convey, without having 20 separate specific rules. If we enforced for general "bigoted language", we'd be handing out mutes as often as people connected. It's 2016, there's always someone who is going to be offended by something.

All in all, this is the internet. We're not here to enforce political correctness; we're here to have fun. If someone is being overly abusive towards someone else, (see rule #1) then action will be taken. Several "bigoted slurs" you mention specifically are mentioned in Rule #1 (racism).

The shit show (for lack of a better word) that went on last night was instigated by someone who was previously being racist and was warned/mute for it, and was just trying to cause trouble.

Essentially; don't be a dick, don't be racist, don't cheat/exploit, don't spam, and be respectful to everyone. There are no plans to add or tweak any rules at the moment, They've been working just fine for over a year now.

sneaK

Owner
Owner
Administrator
Operations Team
Server Moderator
Reaction score
I'm going to go ahead and close this out. We don't have any current plans of adding/removing/changing rules.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Upcoming Events

Today's birthdays

Discord

Login or Register

Forgot your password?