Request saveloc/practice system overhaul suggestion

mnonoalalia

Reaction score
I think it'd be really cool to see a modernized version of saveloc/prac on the surf servers.

There are a few problems with the current version of saveloc on this server, primarily being the fact that while savelocing a staged map, once you complete a stage in saveloc you will be reset to the start of the map (or stage). This makes savelocing stages maps more difficult, especially if they have telehops (surf_rands being a good example). Other issues include not being able to teleport to anything but your most recent checkpoint without deleting it and all of your checkpoints being deleted upon map completion in saveloc.

While I don't know a lot about coding, the open source SurfTimer has a very nice saveloc system for a free timer. After a little bit of looking, it seems like the code for the saveloc commands are stored here around line 544. Given that the sneaks timer and surftimer are mods/overhauls of CK, maybe that would be a good place to start if anybody wants to implement it into sneaks.

let me know what u think c:

sneaK

Owner
Owner
Administrator
Operations Team
Server Moderator
Reaction score
primarily being the fact that while savelocing a staged map, once you complete a stage in saveloc you will be reset to the start of the map (or stage).
Didn't realize this was an issue, seems like an easy enough fix.
Other issues include not being able to teleport to anything but your most recent checkpoint without deleting it and all of your checkpoints being deleted upon map completion in saveloc.
Not quite the case, use !loadloc #locnumber and you can consistently tp back to the specified saveloc, not only your latest. You can also use other players savelocs.
While I don't know a lot about coding, the open source SurfTimer has a very nice saveloc system for a free timer. After a little bit of looking, it seems like the code for the saveloc commands are stored here around line 544.
How does this system differ from the one we have?

mnonoalalia

Reaction score
Not quite the case, use !loadloc #locnumber and you can consistently tp back to the specified saveloc, not only your latest. You can also use other players savelocs.
Hm, that's strange. I went and tested it and it seems your timer has two separate saveloc/prac systems. one being /cp and /prac which is what I was complaining about, and the other being /saveloc and /loadloc. I didn't realize this was a thing since most servers all commands relating to practice or checkpoints do the same thing. That's my fault for not realizing that. It seems like /cp and /prac might just be commands that weren't changed or removed once /saveloc and /loadloc were implemented? All of these commands do the same thing on the SurfTimer plugin.
1617212565792.png

How does this system differ from the one we have?
aside from a saveloc timer and the names of the commands, there is no functional difference between the Surftimer's system and /saveloc and /loadloc on your server. That's my fault for jumping the gun when I didn't know.

It might be a good idea to remove the /cp and /prac commands or maybe change them to do the same thing as /saveloc and /loadloc so people don't fall into the same trap I did.

Last edited:

mask

Reaction score
Still waiting to see cp times in saveloc

sneaK

Owner
Owner
Administrator
Operations Team
Server Moderator
Reaction score
From what I remember, the way the practice system functions is different but desirable to some, so I have no issue with keeping it.

Perhaps a better way of communicating about saveloc would be of more value, rather than removing a feature.

mnonoalalia

Reaction score
As an experienced surfer, I personally don't know if I see any value in the cp system that the saveloc wouldn't have. If you think there was though it might be worth a community poll, or maybe an announcement in game chat that specifies they're separate systems.

add cp times to saveloc
Also this would be a massive plus to the server, but I can see it being tricky to implement.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Upcoming Events

Today's birthdays

Discord

Login or Register

Forgot your password?